YouTube is one of the most diverse multimedia venues in the world, with lessons, TV episodes, and even the most recent music videos readily available. But it isn’t always about watching; sometimes all you want to do is listen to YouTube in the background while doing something else on your phone.
The movie will stop playing if you close the YouTube app, but there are a few simple workarounds that will allow you to listen to a video in the background. Even better, you can receive a small pop-up YouTube player while you’re doing anything else.
YouTube Premium is a paid subscription service that removes adverts from desktop and mobile devices, gives you access to exclusive content, and lets you download videos. But, more importantly for our purposes, it allows you to continue listening even if you turn off your phone’s screen or switch to another app.
While turning off the screen and continuing to listen to YouTube isn’t allowed in Safari or Chrome, it is possible to circumvent YouTube’s restrictions by using Apple’s Control Center with other browsers. We recommend testing out any other iOS browsers you choose. Firefox and Opera Touch are two browsers that surely function with this strategy.
Here’s how to make this strategy work for you.
- To begin, go to YouTube using your preferred browser.
- Then, look for the video you want to watch.
- Switch to the desktop version of the site once you’ve discovered and opened your video.
Note: Depending on the browser you’re using, you’ll find it by tapping the Options button in the top-right corner, then selecting the Desktop Site option.
- Begin watching your video.
- Return to your Home screen and slide up to access the Control Center.
- Even if the screen is turned off, you should be able to hit a Play button to continue watching your video.